Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Morning Coffee - A Daily Process!

Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion - it is a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ.   Billy Graham

When I was young, I had this idea that once I became a Christian – a "real" Christian – my whole life would change overnight. I would wake up one day to a whole new way of living. I would think different thoughts, desire different things, use different words. I would love everybody and never hardly ever get angry.  I would be victorious over evil – at least most of the time.

Of course that never happened, that big conversion day never came. And for a long time that disappointed me.  I felt I was failing at being a Christian. Now, however, I'm finally beginning to better understand what a Christian life really is. As Billy Graham says, it’s a process; or maybe more accurately, a progression. It’s recognizing and squarely facing my skirmishes with evil each and every day and winning more and more of them. Raising my winning percentage.

Will I ever bat 1,000 - or even 500?  Nope!  That’s why we have Easter. But like any discipline, to get better at being a Christian, takes practice, practice, practice – and then some more practice.

A coffee toast to a victorious day!

~~~

1 comment:

  1. Ephesians 2:10

    "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

    Workmanship...a process, constantly putting finishing touches.

    Of course, we have to allow this to occur as well. Be open to it.

    Which can be harder than we think sometimes. Not because we don't think it's good, but because it's scary, it makes us vunerable at times.

    There are going to be times when we don't feel very "Christian" and that's okay. It isn't as if God has a little checklist that he uses to measure us with.

    Only the enemy will rag on you about not "feeling" Christian. God will simply be there with open arms saying: I understand, it's okay.

    ReplyDelete