Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Morning Coffee - Sweating the Small Stuff


The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
      Blessed be the name of the LORD.”  Job 1:21

The best response to losses or thwarted hopes is praise:  The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.  Remember that all good things – your possessions, your family and friends, your health and abilities, your time – are gifts from Me.  Instead of feeling entitled to all these blessings, respond to them with gratitude.  Be prepared to let go of anything I take from you, but never let go of My hand.

Jesus Calling
Sarah Young

“Be prepared to let go of anything I take from you…”.   Right off, our minds go to the big things in life – loss of job, loss of family, loss of health.  But sometimes I think we have more trouble letting go of the small things.  I know that for me it’s the small stuff that gives me more trouble.  It’s as if the small stuff is really mine and I shouldn’t have to go without or deal with inconveniences and besides, it’s all sort of flying under God’s radar anyway, isn’t it?  This isn’t the stuff God cares about; He only deals in the big stuff.   

Boy, how wrong I can be sometimes.  In fact, I’m beginning to wonder if my reaction to the small stuff isn’t more indicative of the true perspective of my heart and mind.  The big stuff is – well, big – and big stuff takes extra intentional attention and I usually can muster some of that when I need to.  But the little stuff is allowed to slip by unnoticed – by me anyway.  And really, only me.  Others notice.

Time to refill my cup and prepare to focus on the small stuff of this day.

~~~

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You struck a chord when you said you wondered if your reaction to the small stuff isn't more indicative of your true perspective of heart and mind. I think I might very well be guilty of this myself. Will have to be more mindful. Thank you, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete