Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Catch and Release! Or not!


Catch and release; a fishing term meaning you hook a fish - with as little collateral damage as possible - and then after admiring your catch you return the little fellow back to his community.  No harm done, the fish supply remains plentiful for all fishermen – yet the urge to catch has been satisfied.

This is the approach I am now taking to my special finds.  The thrill of “stuff” is in the catch; scouring the shelves of thrift stores or rummaging in someone’s garage and uncovering that perfect “thing” - whatever it might be - is the whole of the game.  What is done with the “things” afterward is of minor importance.  So in keeping with the Catch and Release program, I am making it a point to return some of my finds to the community of treasure-seekers. Thus, keeping the supply of  treasures plentiful.  


However, tho', there are times when I find a treasure so grand that it must be displayed.   And that’s fine; not every “thing” needs to be released – just as not every fish must be released.  Some need to be mounted and displayed - whatever they are!

~~~


7 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy,

    That's a neat way of describing that idea. It really holds true.

    I'm now reminded of my recent posting in which I share a quote by someone who said that some treasures are destined to be gift-wrapped. We catch and release those treasures.

    http://beautiful.wordfromhome.com/2011/09/destined.html


    There's a joy in catching... there's a delight in releasing.... thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we are moving the end of this month, there is again another 'releasing' of things we've had a long time, enjoyed, and won't have room for in the next apartment. Our kids are going to benefit from this release program!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember well that post of yours Brenda - I loved that idea of gifts being destined for giving. I've often thought of that since then. And you're right "releasing" is a variation of that theme.

    Karin, I'm always trying to release some of my treasures to my kids but not sure they have the same appreciation as I do for some of my "catches". (-:

    Good luck with your move and your "down-sizing". We did a major housing change a few years ago and know how both exciting and challenging all the decision making can be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandy! That's the perfect saying for it. I do a lot of catch and release of books. Came to the conclusion that I do not need to own every book I've ever read. The floorboards are appreciating it also! Try to release my antiques to the kids, unfortunately they do not appreciate my old things. Maybe someday I'll have a big auction and just give them the money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: Hello again Sandy, Could you please e-mail me? I have a large box filled with blankets and socks ready to send for your son's mission. Need to know if you would prefer I send it to directly to him and if so what is the address? Sorry, I lost your e-mail address!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been keeping fewer and fewer books, too, Jane. And I'm trying to buy fewer new books - they have become so expensive and our thrift store prices are wonderful: 35 cents for paperbacks and 50 cents for hardcovers.

    I also like the idea of the little free libraries that are cropping up here and there. Our Panera Bread has a table of books to borrow from or donate to. I think that's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Thanks Jane!! That's wonderful! Your gifts will be greatly appreciated now that the nights are getting colder!

    I will be in touch with a mailing address.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete