Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Morning Coffee - Pounded and Polished!


"I will make thee a new sharp threshing instrument" Isa. 41:15
A bar of steel worth five dollars, when wrought into horseshoes, is worth ten dollars. If made into needles, it is worth three hundred and fifty dollars; if into penknife blades, it is worth thirty-two thousand dollars; if into springs for watches it is worth two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. What a drilling the poor bar must undergo to be worth this! But the more it is manipulated, the more it is hammered and passed through the fire, and beaten and pounded and polished, the greater the value.
Streams in the Desert
Mrs. Chas. E. Cowman

If you think about that bar of steel and how it reacts to the firing, beating and pounding, it doesn’t rail and fight back against the changes being wrought.  Instead there is a beautiful yielding to the work being done – as if it knows that it is being transformed into something of far greater value. 

Time for a second cup of coffee and a prayer for acceptance of whatever the day ahead brings, trusting that He is only crafting a better me.  

~~~

3 comments:

  1. That Mrs. Chas. E. Cowman was one sharp woman! Very wise indeed. I'll try to remember this when I'm taking my daily pounding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this reading for the day! I have thought a lot about it and even tried to bring it up at lunch --- about value and such. That conversation didn't go far...

    Anyhow, it seems to me, ma'am, that are being molded into someone new and wonderful. I am wondering... should I send you a tool belt like mine??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about a tool belt when I kept trying to stick my screwdriver in my jean pocket. (-:

    ReplyDelete