Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Peppermint Patty Day!

On this day, August 22nd, in 1966, Charles Schultz introduced us to Peppermint Patty - as Charlie Brown’s new love interest.

According to Wikipedia:

“Schulz said that he had developed the Peppermint Patty persona in response to the burgeoning Women's Liberation Movement that was sparked in the latter half of the 1960s, and that he desired to create a character that defied gender stereotypes and embraced social norms that had yet to become fashionable. Peppermint Patty was the first female character outfitted with shorts and sandals, rather than dresses; and had a personality much more tomboyish than the girls who played on Charlie Brown's baseball team; and the first character to be the product of a single-parent household.”



I knew there was a good reason that I liked Peppermint Patty! She never wore dresses! I believe I am the only girl in my 1953 West Ward  Kindergarten picture who is NOT wearing a pretty little dress. Nope! I am wearing corduroy pants and a shirt – and I’m sure I know I was much more comfortable on the playground!


 Happy Peppermint Patty Day!
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment