Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

C.S. Lewis the Man

Snippets of Lewis from Yours, Jack:

“I don’t think evil, in the strict sense, can create. It can spoil something that Another has created. Satan may have corrupted other creatures as well as us. Part of the corruption in us might be the unreasoning horror and disgust we feel at some creatures quite apart from any harm they can do us. (I can’t abide a spider myself.)”

“No, my rheumatism is not really bad. It only produces extreme footsoreness in the left foot, so that after 50 yards, though the right one is fresh as a daisy the left keeps on whimpering ‘Stop! Stop! We’ve been 25 miles already.’”

“All joy (as distinct from mere pleasure, still more amusement) emphasizes our pilgrim status: always reminds, beckons, awakes desire. Our best havings are wantings.”

~~~

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping me up to date on your CS Lewis readings. I'm enjoying the snippets you choose to share with us.

    ReplyDelete