Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Socks, Books and Tiny Needles!

Ever since Matty of Lazy Bee Farm mentioned the knitting of socks on her blog I’ve been fascinated with the idea of trying to knit a pair.  I’ve knitted for years but only easy projects: scarves, mittens etc.; I’ve never attempted much beyond just plain back and forth knitting.  But, as I mentioned, the idea of cute socks was tempting me and I expressed that thought recently in a comment to Matty.

Well Matty decided to push me out of my comfortable contemplative stage and into the actual doing part.  On my doorstep arrived a box from Lazy Bee Farm containing a beautiful beginner’s sock book and a set of teeny, tiny double pointed needles.

The book is “Getting Started Knitting Socks” by Ann Budd.  It has wonderfully detailed instructions/illustrations as well as great sock photos.  Very helpful and inspirational.

Did I mention that the needles were teeny tiny?  The set on the left were the double pointed needles I learned on last winter while attempting some quick knit mittens.  The toothpicks on the right are the needles needed to make a fine pair of socks!  Yikes!

But I am hopeful that with some practice and some diligence I will be successful at this project.  I’ll have Matty as my coach and cheerleader.  She is a beautifully accomplished knitter who just finished this shawl pictured here - and wears hand knit socks (like these!) every day.   How great is that!!

So this is my goal: 
...a wearable pair of hand knit socks.  But first I need to figure out how to cast 40 stitches on one of those teeny tiny needles - and then keep them there!!
Uffda!

5 comments:

  1. I knit a pair of socks in the old country - that would be Germany for me - for my grade 4 project. Got an excellent mark but never took it up as a hubby like so many ladies do! All the best with your new project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll do fine Sandy! Matty is always so generous! Just remember that slow and steady wins the race.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll do a GREAT job..can't wait to see the finished product!! Good Luck! love, Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone! I plan to post about my progress as I go along as the accountability will help keep me at the "needles". And I really want to earn a good grade from Matty!! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sweet Sandy!

    First, I love the picture! So cute!

    Second, you are more than welcome! Now that we can get out of the house, I'll dash off your yarn! I am so excited to see your socks!

    Enjoy!

    Hugs,

    Matty

    ReplyDelete