Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Morning Coffee - Emerging Patterns

I’ve discovered that one of the fun things about knitting socks is using “self patterning” yarn.  (I learned this term from Jane in an earlier comment.) I was given a skein of multi-colored yarn as a gift and it has been so interesting watching the pattern emerge as I knit with it.  The colors are constantly changing, but in a way that creates a very pretty pattern.  Lights and darks are mixed in what appears to be a haphazard way in the raw skein.  Yet in reality there is a plan – a very wonderful plan - that reveals itself as the sock progresses.

As I concentrate on each row and each little stitch as I work, I fail to see and appreciate the pattern.  It’s only when I stop for a minute and step back and view the project as a whole that the master plan shows its beauty.  The lights, the darks, the specks, the colors all have a purpose in the master plan.  It’s a lot like our life as He has designed it, isn’t it?

I think I'll pour a second cup and step back to better view my own emerging pattern.

~~~

6 comments:

  1. Sandy you're wonderful! You can find a life lesson in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jane! But the finding of them is pretty easy; it's the living them where I struggle! (And maybe that's the idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it...your socks are SO cute..and you're finding life lessons in it all...perfect!!! Keep knitting..can't wait to see the finished project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, now I'm wondering if the second sock will have the same patterning as the first! Good life lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good question Karin, I wondered about that, too. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've knitted a lovely posting....

    And no wonder He asks us to stop and be still awhile. There's no other way to see the pattern that's emerging under His creative hand.

    ReplyDelete