Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Morning Coffee - "The future looks brighter...."

On January 1 of 2011, I wrote in my diary: “The future looks brighter than any day past.”

This was the last line of a poem written by Karin Ristau and posted on her blog, Yesterday, Today, Forever.

Serve God with your whole heart, in joy and contentment.
Be strong and courageous. Be not afraid.
You’re never alone in your journey of life.
God will not fail you! Be not dismayed.
Do not look back! Keep your eye on the goal!
Only what’s done for Christ will last!
Don’t rest on your laurels or deny your mistakes!
The future looks brighter than any day past.
Karin Ristau

Who could have possibly known what the year ahead would have in store for Jim and I yet I could not have begun the year with a better perspective given what transpired for us.  In fact when I look back at my journal entries for the months before his illness it is amazing to me what verses and phrases I chose for meditation and emphasis.  God was definitely preparing me for what was to come.

January 4th:  “You never learn faith in comfortable surroundings.” 

January 16th:  “O God!  Take me, break me, make me.” 

January 31st :  “The thing I send is best for Thee.” 

May 23rd:  “He worketh …even now.”

June 1st:  “I entreat you, give no place to despondency.  This is a dangerous temptation – a refined, not a gross temptation of the adversary.  Melancholy contracts and withers the heart, and renders it unfit to receive the impressions of grace.  It magnifies and gives a false coloring and thus renders your burdens too heavy to bear.  God’s designs regarding you, and His methods of bringing about these designs, are infinitely wise.”  Madame Guyon

June 12th:  “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct thy paths.”
Proverbs 3:5-6 

June 17th:  “You will hear a voice say, ‘This is the way; turn around and walk here.’  Trust Him.”

June 20th:  Be still and listen.  Thy Father knowest best.  Praise Him for all he has planned.  Do not seek to get out of God’s will.  There is a purpose for being where you are.”

It was on June 20th, our 41st wedding anniversary, over breakfast at McDonald’s, that Jim confided to me that he had not been feeling well.  We immediately scheduled a Doctor’s appointment and thus began our final journey together.  And I believe we traveled it well together having been so decidedly prepared. 

Today begins another year.  And again, no one can possible know what lies ahead. But I do know that if I stay close to God He will prepare me for whatever plans He has.  He has promised that.  And He does keep His promises.

My entry for today, my first of 2012, begins, “Momento Vivere”  Remember to live!

Happy New Year!
Sandy

(Note - Being journal entries I don't always reference my quotes - but most are probably from Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Chas Cowman - a favorite devotional of mine.)

4 comments:

  1. Looking back, it does indeed appear that God was preparing you for what lay ahead. Your courage and strength through the journey has been an inspiration, dear Sandy! You have not just talked the talk but have walked the walk. Praying that this new year will be a one of contentment and peace for you!

    Love
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jane. I appreciate your comments and thoughts and prayers. Praying peace and contentment for you as well!

    God bless!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy,

    You have been such an inspiration to me this year. The gentle confiding nature of your faith and life challenge me to aspire to find the peace you have shared with us.

    I hope this year is a gentle one and will bring you joy and contentment! And lots of knitting! :)

    Hugs,

    Matty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to read over my own poem again Sandy and take it to heart even much more seriously. The month of December has been filled with challenging news about both hubby's and my health. So thankful that the blogging friends are people of prayer, support and encouragement which the Lord has sent our way. "Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand But I know who holds tomorrow And I know who holds my hand." God bless you with a joyful year in His Presence.

    ReplyDelete