Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Morning Coffee - Weights or Wings

They shall mount up with wings as eagles.  Isa.40:31
We look at our burdens and heavy loads, and shrink from them; but as we lift them and bind them about our hearts, they become wings, and on them we rise and soar toward God.

There is no burden which, if we lift it cheerfully and bear it with love in our hearts, will not become a blessing to us. God means our tasks to be our helpers; to refuse to bend our shoulders to receive a load, is to decline a new opportunity for growth. --J. R. Miller

Blessed is any weight, however overwhelming, which God has been so good as to fasten with His own hand upon our shoulders. F. W. Faber


Streams in the Desert
Mrs. Chas. E. Cowman

I've always loved this verse in Isaiah, but I have to admit I've never thought that the wings that carry me soaring towards God began as weights - weights that God has been so good to fasten upon my shoulders. Time to refill my cup and pray that I never refuse what God has chosen for me to carry.

28 Do you not know?
   Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
   the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
   and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
   and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
   and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
   will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
   they will run and not grow weary,
   they will walk and not be faint. 

~~~

2 comments:

  1. Sandy today is our 33rd anniversary,and as I reflect back,it is the triumphs over adversity that have made us who we are. You have to enjoy the struggles! They really are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!!

    And I agree - it is the working together through both the thick and the thin that makes a marriage last.

    Here's to many, many more anniversaries, Jane!

    ReplyDelete