Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Character Matters; Not Comfort

“God is more interested in your character than your comfort.”  Rick Warren

On the face of it, we know this to be true. If we were asked about it, we would surely respond that God, indeed, is much more interested in our character than our comfort.   A no-brainer as they say.

Yet it seems that I live out the opposite response. I tend to think that if I’m not comfortable heading in a certain direction; if I’m not “feeling good” about what I’m doing; if things aren’t going smoothly, then it must not be from God. I must have misunderstood what God was telling me. Otherwise things would be going better.

But the truth is, I most likely was following God’s lead. It’s just that God is more interested in me, than He is in my projects.  What happens to me and how it impacts my relationship with Him is the real measure of my day's work; not how comfortable I am.

Or as Pete Wilson put it, “…it’s as much about the person we’re becoming as it is about where we’re going.”

~~~

2 comments:

  1. I was listening to James MacDonald yesterday and he was talking about just this. We have a tendency to worry about how others see us, living in the world, than how our Heavenly Father sees us. He is kinder than the world, that is for sure! So, why do we let the world guide us??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how we will accept the discomfort, at times, if the end result puts us in a better place or somewhere beneficial.

    Of course, we have an end in mind and KNOW that the outcome is, almost, certain.

    Yet, with God...he calls us to the unknown, a much scarier place, thus the discomfort seems greater, because we don't know where we will end up when it's all said and done...

    Jesus never said he came to bring us comfort...but LIFE. Life, usually before the good times, is uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete